Be content with what you have, for God has said "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." So say with confidence, "the Lord is my helper I will not be afraid." Hebrews 13:5-6

Thursday, February 24, 2011

I am learning to be a little more resourceful!

So part of cutting back out spending has meant that I have been learning to be a little more rescourceful. At our MOPS table we came up with the term "Macgyver-ology" which to us meant making something out of little or nothing! There are many ways that I want to become more resourceful, like gifting, cooking and meal planning, couponing etc. Because for now we have more or less cut out restaurants (minus the Groupon for Moctezuma's that I couldn't pass up) I have found myself cooking a lot more than I ever have. I have found huge enjoyment in this because it is actually something that I have been wanting to do more of. One of the first recipes I tried was one for our fav Thai meal, Massaman curry. I figured if we were not going to be going out to get this then I was going to make it. Now keep in mind I learned very quickly after seeing what goes in this that it is not extremely low cal/low fat but works best as an once or twice a month thing. I will post that recipe soon when I have more time, but I wanted to share something that I did today that had me beaming with resourcefulness. I noticed that this huge bag of potatoes that I had bought because it was a cheap was now beginning to go bad. In the past I would have thought oh too bad, I am not making anyhting with potatoes right now so I guess it will just end up going bad, thus turning my cheap 20lb bag of potatos into a waste of money. But now being on my quest to become to resourceful decided to google "freezing potatoes". By the way my freezer has become my new best friend lately...more on that later too. So I got to chopping and here are the instruction for freezing potatoes.

Step 1- cut into slices for what you will use. For me I made mostly fries and also small cubes for soup.

Step 2-boil for a very short period of time until they are 1/2 cooked.

Step 3- lay flat on a foil lined baking sheet, single layered and put into freezer.

Step 4- once frozen put in freezer bags for later use!

I have 3 very full cooking sheets in the freezer right now! I am very pleased with myself. Not only did I rescue my potatoes, I saved money and time for when i comes to cooking with them. I think the main thing so far that I learned about resourcefulness is that it can take a litte more time, effort and planning but it is SO worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment